Till now, a total 3933 persons have arrived on 27 different flights at the Sanganer International Airport.


Till now, a total 3933 persons have arrived on 27 different flights at the Sanganer International Airport.

Jaipur: As many as nine suspected coronavirus patients have been kept under observation in various cities of Rajasthan.

Two persons who had come to Alwar from China have been discharged from the hospital after they showed no symptoms of the virus. Till now, a total 3933 persons have arrived on 27 different flights at the Sanganer International Airport.

 
 

The medical department has spruced up all preparations regarding isolation, boarding and lodging of suspected coronavirus patients at the ESI Hospital in Alwar.

Government of India had decided that the 300 suspected patients being brought from China would be airlifted from Delhi and kept at the Alwar Hospital.

Four persons had been under observation in isolation at the SMS Hospital in Jaipur and their reports show that they are not inflicted by the virus. Two persons have been admitted at the JLN Hospital in Ajmer. They had been to China for their honeymoon. Their samples have been taken and sent to Jaipur for testing.

Three students from Barmer are also currently under observation.

Meanwhile, Congress leaders in Ajmer have raised objections and demanded that suspected patients should not be brought to Alwar Hospital. Labour Minister Tikaram Julie and former Union minister Bhanwar Jitendra Singh have demanded that the state government should say ‘no’ to suspected coronavirus patients.

Jitendra Singh reportedly called chief minister Ashok Gehlot, who is in Mumbai, and asked him to communicate to the Central Government not to send the suspected patients.  He has said that there is a residential area around the hospital premises and people should not be put at risk.

Labour minister Tikaram Julie went on say that Alwar is not a dumping point and the local population cannot be put at risk. He said, “The Coronavirus is a deadly disease and highly infectious. We had been demanding a medical college in Alwar. Today, when need arises, Alwar has been chosen for sending the patients.”   

To put apprehensions at rest, the PMO and CMO of Alwar addressed a press meet and said that the local population is at no risk. However, local residents of Alwar protested at the gate of the ESI Hospital and demanded that the patients should not be brought to the city.

 
 
 



China’s coronavirus death toll rises to 259, nearly 12,000 infected


China’s coronavirus death toll rises to 259, nearly 12,000 infected

Beijing: The death toll from China's new coronavirus outbreak has risen to 259 and the tally of confirmed infections has surged to nearly 12,000, the government said on Saturday.

The National Health Commission said in its daily update that 46 more people had succumbed to the respiratory disease. All but one of the new deaths came in hardest-hit Hubei province, the epicentre of an outbreak that has spread around the world. The virus emerged in December in Hubei's provincial capital Wuhan, and has been traced to a meat market that sold wild game.

 
 

The number of infections in China also rose, by 2,102, bringing the nationwide total to 11,791. That's despite unprecedented quarantine measures imposed last week on millions of people in Hubei and aggressive preventive steps elsewhere in the country. The number of new deaths and newly confirmed cases have both spiralled higher on a daily basis since China sounded the nationwide alarm a week ago.

The epidemic has spread far and wide as huge numbers of Chinese travelled within and outside the country for the Lunar New Year holiday that started last week. It has since ballooned into a global health emergency with cases in more than two dozen countries. The top Communist Party official in Wuhan expressed "remorse" on Friday, saying local authorities acted too slowly in containing the virus.

 
 
 



Airlines suspend flights to China as global fears mount over coronavirus outbreak


Airlines suspend flights to China as global fears mount over coronavirus outbreak

Foreign airlines began suspending flights to and from China on Wednesday as global fears mounted over a coronavirus epidemic that has killed 132 people and infected nearly 6,000.

The announcements came hours after countries began airlifts to evacuate foreigners trapped in Wuhan, the quarantined central Chinese city of 11 million people at the epicentre of the health emergency.

A growing number of governments, including the United States, Britain and Germany, have in recent days advised their citizens to avoid non-essential travel to China over concerns about the viral outbreak.

China has itself urged its citizens to delay trips abroad, with at least 15 countries having confirmed cases of the disease. The United Arab Emirates reported the first known case in the Middle East on Wednesday.

British Airways was the first major airline to announce a total suspension of flights to and from China, citing the travel advice of the foreign office.

Indonesia's Lion Air Group, Southeast Asia's biggest carrier by fleet size, also said it would halt services to and from China from Saturday "until further notice".

In Myanmar, the three airlines which have routes into neighbouring China also said those flights would be suspended from Saturday.

Cathay Pacific also cut flights, citing low demand and the Hong Kong government's response plan against the virus.

And in one of the most dramatic measures, the tiny Pacific nation of Papua New Guinea announced on Wednesday that travellers from Asia would not be allowed in.

However many other airlines said they were continuing with their services. However, passengers on some of these flights will have to make do without hot meals, blankets and newspapers, as airlines step up measures to protect crew and travellers from the virus.

Domestic Indian airline IndiGo has decided to suspend its flights on the Bengaluru-Hong Kong route from February 1 and on the Delhi-Chengdu route from February 1 to 20. Similarly, Air India spokesperson said the national carrier is suspending its flights on Delhi-Shanghai route from January 31 to February 14.

However, IndiGo clarified that for now, it will continue to operate the Kolkata-Guangzhou flight which it is "monitoring on a daily basis".

 
 
 



China’s coronavirus death toll rises to 170, more than 1,000 new cases


China’s coronavirus death toll rises to 170, more than 1,000 new cases

Beijing [China]: The death toll from coronavirus has reached 170 on Thursday, Sputnik reported citing China Central television. Meanwhile, over 1700 cases of coronavirus have been registered in China.

The World Health Organization (WHO) says it will hold its second emergency meeting on Thursday to assess whether the coronavirus outbreak constitutes an international health emergency. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters on Wednesday, "The continued increase in cases and evidence of human-to-human transmission outside China, of course, is deeply concerning. Although the numbers outside China are still relatively small, they hold the potential for a much larger outbreak."

 
 

During the previous meeting, on Thursday last week, the WHO had said that it was 'too early' to declare the outbreak of coronavirus in China as a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC). The virus originated in Wuhan city of China in December and has since then spread to various cities around the world.

China has imposed quarantine and travel restrictions, affecting the movement of 56 million people in more than a dozen cities, amid fears that the transmission rate will accelerate as hundreds of millions of Chinese travel for the Lunar New Year. Health authorities around the world are taking action to prevent a global pandemic as the virus continues to spread, with cases reported in Australia, France, the United States and seven Asian countries besides China.

 
 
 



7.7 magnitude earthquake hits Caribbean


7.7 magnitude earthquake hits Caribbean

Miami: A major 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck Tuesday in the Caribbean between Jamaica and Cuba, triggering a brief tsunami alert and sending hundreds of people pouring onto the streets of Havana.

The tremors were felt as far as the US mainland, where police in Miami evacuated some buildings as precaution.

The US Geological Survey said the quake hit at a depth of 10 kilometers at 2:10 pm 125 kilometers northwest of Lucea, Jamaica.

It estimated there was a low likelihood of casualties or damage, and there were no immediate reports of either.

Hours later, a 6.1 magnitude aftershock hit off the coast of the Cayman Islands, part of a cluster of more than a dozen aftershocks which were mainly in the four-to-five magnitude range and lasted well into the evening, the USGS said.

The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Center initially warned there was a threat of tsunami waves reaching 0.3 to one meter above tide level for the coasts of Jamaica, Belize, Cuba, Honduras, Mexico and the Cayman Islands. But it lifted the alert update about two hours later.

The first, bigger quake rattled several tall buildings in the Cuban capital Havana, which were immediately evacuated.

The earthquake was felt in several provinces including Guantanamo and Santiago de Cuba in the east, Cienfuegos in the center and Havana in the northwest, the official Cubadebate website reported.

But there were no preliminary reports of damage or injuries.

Jawara Rawjers, a resident of Kingston, Jamaica told AFP: "I felt the house trembling and realized that it was a quake.

"It lasted about 20 seconds. I checked my watch and it was 2:12 pm. I checked on my family but they didn't feel anything in their part of the house." Machel Emanuel, a doctor in the same city, added: "I was on the second floor of a building and there was a sustained shaking of the building. I felt dizzy. The door was slamming consistently for a while." Many Jamaicans took to social media in the immediate aftermath to post pictures, unverified by AFP, of swimming pools shaking violently.

In Miami, police said buildings were being evacuated as a precaution after reports of tremors being felt in some areas of the city.

 
 
 



Facebook blames Apple iOS for Bezos' phone hacking


Facebook blames Apple iOS for Bezos' phone hacking

Facebook has blamed Apple's operating system for the hacking of Amazon Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos' phone, saying WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption is unhackable.

Investigators believe that Bezos's iPhone was compromised after he received a 4.4MB video file containing malware via WhatsApp - in the same way when phones of 1,400 select journalists and human rights activists were broken into by Pegasus software from Israel-based NSO Group last year.

 
 

In an interview to the BBC last week, Facebook's Vice President of Global Affairs and Communications, Nick Clegg, said it wasn't WhatsApp's fault because end-to-end encryption is unhackable and blamed Apple's operating system for Bezos' episode.

 
 

"It sounds like something on the, you know, what they call the operate, operated on the phone itself. It can't have been anything on the, when the message was sent, in transit, because that's end-to-end encrypted on WhatsApp," Clegg told the show host.

Clegg compared the hack to opening a malicious email, saying that "it only comes to life when you open it".

According to a report from FTI Consulting, a firm that has investigated Bezos' phone, after that the video file was received, Bezos' phone started sending unusually large amounts of outbound data, including his intimate messages with his girlfriend Lauren Sanchez.

According to Clegg, "something" must have affected the phone's operating system.

"As sure as you can be that the technology of end-to-end encryption cannot, other than unless you have handset, or you have the message at either end, cannot be hacked into," he was quoted as saying.

Apple was yet to comment on Facebook's statement.

The NSO Group has denied it was part of Bezos' hacking.

WhatsApp provides end-to-end encryption by default, which means only the sender and recipient can view the messages. But the piece of NSO Group software exploited WhatsApp's video calling system by installing the spyware via missed calls to snoop on the selected users.

According to leading tech policy and media consultant Prasanto K. Roy, end-to-end encrypted apps (E2EE) do provide security, and messages or calls cannot be intercepted and decrypted en route without enormous computing resources.

"But once anyone can get to your handset, whether a human or a piece of software, the encryption doesn't matter anymore. Because on your handset, it's all decrypted," Roy told IANS recently.

 
 
 



Iran can enrich uranium at any level: AEOI


Iran can enrich uranium at any level: AEOI

Tehran: A senior official at Iran's nuclear organization (AEOI) has said that the country was capable of enriching uranium up to whatever level of purity, and would do so if required to.

"Right now, if the (country's) establishment deems necessary, the Atomic Energy Organization (of Iran) will, in its capacity as the executor, have the capability to enrich uranium at whatever percentage of purity," Press TV reported on Saturday citing Ali Asghar Zare'an, a special assistant to Ali Akbar Salehi, the head of the AEOI, as saying.

"Currently, the nuclear industry is one of the constituents of the Islamic country's power and authority," he added.

Zarean noted that Iran was currently producing 10 kg of uranium each day at under 5 per cent purity level, Xinhua news agency said in a report.

The stockpile of low-grade enriched uranium produced by the country has exceeded 1,200 kg, he said, adding that "it is being increased at full speed".

Iran was now injecting gas into its IR-4 and IR-2m generation of centrifuges for producing enriched uranium, he said.

He added that Iran was also in the process of devising IR-9 generation centrifuges.

In May 2018, the Islamic Republic began a set of nuclear counter-measures in retaliation for the US' departure from the historic 2015 nuclear accord, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), between Tehran and major world powers, Press TV reported.

As part of the retaliatory steps, Iran stopped recognizing the limits set by the deal on the level of its enrichment activities and the volume of its heavy water reservoir.

On January 5, the country said it would no longer observe any operational limitations on its nuclear industry, whether concerning the capacity and level of uranium enrichment, the volume of stockpiled uranium or research and development.

The announcement came two days after Iranian Major General Qasem Soleimani was killed in an American drone attack in Baghdad.




Florida man held for pointing lasers as planes landed


Florida man held for pointing lasers as planes landed

Sarasota (US): A man was arrested for pointing lasers at planes trying to land at a Florida airport and injuring a pilot in the process, authorities said.

Charlie Chapman Jr. aimed his laser pointer toward a plane four times and toward a sheriff's helicopter once as they tried to land last week at Sarasota Bradenton Airport, according to the Manatee County Sheriff's Office.

One pilot said the laser hit him directly in the eyes and caused temporary blindness and lingering blurred vision. The Orlando Sentinel reported a video also showed a man appearing to throw objects at the sheriff's helicopter as it tried to land.

After several pilots reported the incidents, the investigation led deputies to Chapman.

They found the 41-year-old on a forklift Wednesday night. He made a striking motion toward them with a hammer, prompting deputies to use a stun gun on him, according to the sheriff's office.

Chapman was charged with aggravated assault on an officer, pointing a laser at a pilot with injury, pointing a laser at a pilot without injury and resisting without violence.

It's unclear if he had retained an attorney who could comment on the charges.




Indian storekeeper wins 200,000 dirhams in Dubai raffle


Indian storekeeper wins 200,000 dirhams in Dubai raffle

An Indian storekeeper in the UAE has won a luxury car and a whopping 200,000 dirhams in a Dubai raffle, ending a decade-long wait to hit the jackpot, according to a media report on Tuesday.

Sreejith has been buying raffle tickets every year for the last 10 years, Khaleej Times reported.

The storekeeper claimed an Infiniti QX50 car as well as 200,000 dirhams (USD 54,448) cash prize in the Infiniti Mega Raffle, part of the 25th edition of Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF), the report said.

Commenting on winning the jackpot, Sreejith said: "I couldn't believe my ears. I have diligently purchased a raffle ticket every year for the last 10 years, with the hopes to strike lucky one day. This win means so much to me and I now believe that dreams can come true. I have two boys and a third on the way and this money will ensure that my kids have a bright future ahead of them".

 
 
 



‘We had no other option but to step back’: Prince Harry


‘We had no other option but to step back’: Prince Harry

London: Prince Harry has said he and his wife Meghan Markle had "really no other option" but to step back as senior royals after "many years of challenges", even as he expressed "great sadness" after being stripped of their royal titles.

In his first personal statement on Sunday night after a formal split from the royal family was finalised by Queen Elizabeth II over the weekend, the 35-year-old Duke of Sussex said when he and his American actress wife were married they were "excited" and "hopeful".

He spoke of his "great sadness" at a decision which he said was not taken lightly and that the UK would always be his home even as the couple divide their time between Canada and Britain.

"The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back, is not one I made lightly," the Prince said in a speech at a dinner event for charity Sentebale, co-founded by him in 2006 to support those affected by HIV in Lesotho and Botswana in southern Africa.

"It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven't always got it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option. What I want to make clear is we're not walking away, and we certainly aren't walking away from you," he said.

 
 
 



Top