Today Picture



Coronavirus remains active on human skin for nine hours, longer than pathogen that causes flu: Study



The pathogen that causes the flu survives on human skin for about 1.8 hours by comparison, said the study published this month in the Clinical Infectious Diseases journal.

The coronavirus remains active on human skin for nine hours, Japanese researchers have found, in a discovery they said showed the need for frequent hand washing to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.

The pathogen that causes the flu survives on human skin for about 1.8 hours by comparison, said the study published this month in the Clinical Infectious Diseases journal.

“The nine-hour survival of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus strain that causes Covid-19) on human skin may increase the risk of contact transmission in comparison with IAV (influenza A virus), thus accelerating the pandemic,” it said.

The research team tested skin collected from autopsy specimens, about one day after death.

Both the coronavirus and the flu virus are inactivated within 15 seconds by applying ethanol, which is used in hand sanitisers.

“The longer survival of SARS-CoV-2 on the skin increases contact-transmission risk; however, hand hygiene can reduce this risk,” the study said.

The study backs World Health Organization guidance for regular and thorough hand washing to limit transmission of the virus, which has infected nearly 40 million people around the world since it first emerged in China late last year.

 




Temple priest in UP hired professional shooter, orchestrated attack on himself to frame political rival


The police said that seven people, including the chief monk of the temple and a village head, have been arrested over the attack on the priest who too will be arrested once he is released from the hospital.

The police on Saturday said that a temple priest and others in Uttar Pradesh’s Gonda district has been busted. The priest allegedly hired a professional shooter and orchestrated an attack on himself to frame a political rival.

The police said that seven people, including the chief monk of the temple and a village head, have been arrested over the attack on the priest who too will be arrested once he is released from the hospital.

The priest Atul Tripathi alias Samrat Das, who was injured in the attack last week is currently at the King George’s Medical College Hospital in Lucknow, the police told.

The incident had sparked a huge row and saints from Ayodhya camped in the district and demanded prompt action against those responsible.

District Magistrate Nitin Bansal and Superintendent of Police Shailesh Kumar Pandey, in a joint press conference, said that Das was injured when he was shot at on the night of October 10 in Shri Ram Janki Temple in the village.

A case of murder attempt was filed by Mahant Sitaramdas of the temple against a former village head Amar Singh and his associates, two of whom were arrested the next day.

The police had constituted five teams were constituted for solving the case and based on electronic evidence, statements of witnesses and other inputs, seven accused were arrested on Friday and efforts were on to catch one other person who is still on the run, the district police chief said.




2.2 million ads on Facebook, Instagram rejected for attempting to ‘obstruct voting’ in US elections


Facebook has been increasing its efforts to avoid a repeat of events leading up to the 2016 US presidential election, won by Donald Trump, when its network was used for attempts at voter manipulation, carried out from Russia.

A total of 2.2 million ads on Facebook and Instagram have been rejected and 120,000 posts withdrawn for attempting to “obstruct voting” in the upcoming US presidential election, Facebook’s vice president Nick Clegg said in an interview published Sunday.

In addition, warnings were posted on 150 million examples of false information posted online, the former British deputy prime minister told the French weekly Journal du Dimanche.

Facebook has been increasing its efforts to avoid a repeat of events leading up to the 2016 US presidential election, won by Donald Trump, when its network was used for attempts at voter manipulation, carried out from Russia.

There were similar problems ahead of Britain’s 2016 referendum on leaving the European Union.

“Thirty-five thousand employees take care of the security of our platforms and contribute for elections,” said Clegg, who is vice president of global affairs and communications at Facebook.

“We have established partnerships with 70 specialised media, including five in France, on the verification of information”, he added.

AFP is one of those partners.

Clegg added that the company also uses artificial intelligence which has “made it possible to delete billions of posts and fake accounts, even before they are reported by users”.

Facebook also stores all advertisements and information on their funding and provenance for seven years “to insure transparency,” he said.

In 2016, while he was still deputy prime minister, Clegg complained to the Journal du Dimanche that Facebook had not identified or suppressed a single foreign network interfering in the US election.

On Wednesday President Trump rebuked Facebook and Twitter for blocking links to a New York Post article purporting to expose corrupt dealings by election rival Joe Biden and his son Hunter in Ukraine.

A day earlier Facebook announced a ban on ads that discourage people from getting vaccinated, in light of the coronavirus pandemic which the social media giant said has “highlighted the importance of preventive health behaviors.”




‘Fully alert towards securing each inch of country’s land, no one can take it away’: Amit Shah amid Ladakh crisis


Minister also said the government is taking all possible military and diplomatic steps to resolve the standoff in Ladakh with China.

Amidst the continuing standoff with China in Ladakh, Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Saturday said the Modi government is fully alert towards securing each inch of the country’s land and no one can take it away.

Mr Shah also said the government is taking all possible military and diplomatic steps to resolve the standoff in Ladakh with China.

“We are vigilant for every inch of our land, no one can take it away…Our defence forces and leadership are capable of defending the country’s sovereignty and border,” he told CNN News 18 when asked whether China has entered into Indian territory.

The home minister also said that the government is committed to protecting the sovereignty and security of the country.

Referring to the coming Bihar elections, Mr Shah expressed confidence that the NDA will get a two-third majority.

He said Nitish Kumar will be the next chief minister of the state after the polls.

The home minister said there will be a change of government in West Bengal after next year’s assembly elections and a BJP government will assume power there.

“We feel we will have a determined fight in West Bengal and we will form the government,” he said.
He also said that the law and order situation in West Bengal is serious and political parties like the BJP have every right to seek imposition of President’s rule there.

“However, the central government will take an appropriate decision taking into account the Constitution and on the basis of the governor”s report,” he said.

When asked whether the BJP will stake claim for the chief ministership in Bihar if the saffron party gets more seats than the ally JD(U) headed by Nitish Kumar, he said, “There is no if or but. Nitish Kumar will be the next chief minister of Bihar. We have made a public announcement and we are committed to it.”

Talking about the Lok Janshakti Party breaking away from the ruling alliance in Bihar, Mr Shah said the party was offered adequate seats but still walked away from the alliance.




NEET 2020 results: ‘Utilised lockdown time’, says Soyeb Aftab


Jaipur: Soyeb Aftab has set another target while topping the coveted exam for admission to undergraduate medical courses, with 720 out of 720 marks. “There is no doctor in my family, so I didn’t expect this. I had hoped to make it to the top 100 or top 50 but I never expected to score 720/720. The exam was being postponed, so there was a lot of pressure. But the goal was to stay calm and utilize time, I utilized the time of COVID-19 lockdown” Soyeb Aftab.

 




Hyderabad: Sailors of Yacht Club of Hyderabad rescue flood-hit people


Hyderabad: Sailors of Yacht Club of Hyderabad rescued many persons who were trapped in building or houses due to flash flood after incessant rainfall. They used their boats during the rescue operation.

Army and NGOs joins rescue ops flood-hit Hyderabad

National Sailing Champion Gowtham Kankatla and fellow sailors rescued people.

President of Yacht Club of Hyderabad
The President of Yacht Club of Hyderabad, Suheim Sheikh said that immediate response was given after NGO SDIF informed the club that 500 people are stranded due to the flood.

Hyderabad floods | Telangana seeks immediate aid of ₹1,350 crore - The Hindu

He applauded the selfless volunteerism of sailors.

Sharing his experience, Sheikh said that he had never seen the way wind and water lashed Hussain Sagar Lake.

Volunteers rescued people
Narrating the scenes in low-lying areas, he said as soon as volunteers reached the spot, people requested them to rescue people mainly, elders, women, and children who were trapped due to the flood. People were seen in the ankle and waist-deep water.

The sailor played the role of small boat ferry operators in flood water in Tolichowki and Saroornagar. They shifted persons to a safe place with the help of volunteers and Life Guards.

One of the residents, Shravanti Tiwari who is a liver patient thanked everyone who helped her in reaching the hospital.

SIYASAT DOT COM 




Google stops biggest-ever DDoS cyber attack to date


New Delhi: The cyber security threats such as distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) are growing exponentially, disrupting businesses of all sizes globally, leading to outages and loss of user trust, Google has said.

The tech giant revealed that its infrastructure absorbed a massive 2.5Tbps DDoS in September 2017, the highest-bandwidth attack reported to date which was the culmination of a six-month campaign that utilised multiple methods of attack.

“Despite simultaneously targeting thousands of our IPs, presumably in hopes of slipping past automated defenses, the attack had no impact,” Google said in a statement on Friday.

The attacker used several networks to spoof 167 Mbps (millions of packets per second) to 180,000 exposed CLDAP, DNS, and SMTP servers, which would then send large responses to Google.

“This demonstrates the volumes a well-resourced attacker can achieve: This was four times larger than the record-breaking 623 Gbps attack from the Mirai botnet a year earlier. It remains the highest-bandwidth attack reported to date, leading to reduced confidence in the extrapolation,” the company informed.

With a DDoS attack, an adversary hopes to disrupt their victim’s service with a flood of useless traffic.

While this attack doesn’t expose user data and doesn’t lead to a compromise, it can result in an outage and loss of user trust if not quickly mitigated.

Attackers are constantly developing new techniques to disrupt systems.

“Some attacks may not even focus on a specific target, but instead attack every IP in a network. Multiplying the dozens of attack types by the diversity of infrastructure that must be defended leads to endless possibilities,” Google said.

The company said the main task is to determine the capacity needed to withstand the largest DDoS attacks for each key metric.

“While we can estimate the expected size of future attacks, we need to be prepared for the unexpected, and thus we over-provision our defenses accordingly”.

The company recently announced ‘Cloud Armor Managed Protection’ which enables users to further simplify their deployments, manage costs, and reduce overall DDoS and application security risk.

Google said it is working with others in the internet community to identify and dismantle infrastructure used to conduct attacks.

Source: IANS




‘Even Pakistan handled Covid better than India’: Rahul Gandhi takes dig at Centre over IMF’s projection


Rahul Gandhi took a swipe at the government on Twitter by tagging a chart that showed IMF growth projections for 2020-21 for Bangladesh, Myanmar, Nepal, China, Bhutan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and India.

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi took a dig at the centre on Friday over IMF’s projection that the Indian economy is set to contract by a massive 10.3 per cent this year, saying it was another “solid achievement” by the government.

Mr Gandhi took a swipe at the government on Twitter by tagging a chart that showed IMF growth projections for 2020-21 for Bangladesh, Myanmar, Nepal, China, Bhutan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and India.

The chart showed that the Indian economy is projected to contract by a massive 10.3 per cent this year, the highest contraction among the countries mentioned.

“Another solid achievement by the BJP government. Even Pakistan and Afghanistan handled Covid better than India,” Mr Gandhi tweeted with the chart.


 

The former Congress chief on Wednesday had also taken a dig at the government over IMF growth projections showing Bangladesh closing in on India in terms of per capita GDP this year and described it as a “solid achievement” of six years of BJP”s “hate-filled cultural nationalism”.

The Indian economy, severely hit by the coronavirus pandemic, is projected to contract by a massive 10.3 per cent this year, the International Monetary Fund had said on Tuesday.

However, India is likely to bounce back with an impressive 8.8 per cent growth rate in 2021, thus regaining the position of the fastest growing emerging economy, surpassing China’s projected growth rate of 8.2 per cent, the IMF said in its latest ”World Economic Outlook” report.




BJP MLA’s aide in Uttar Pradesh’s Ballia shoots man in day-light in front of government officials


‘The victim was allegedly shot at a meeting in Durjanpur village after an official cancelled a meeting on the allotment of ration shops due to a dispute between the members who had gathered there.’

A yet another incident of hooliganism was recorded on-camera in Uttar Pradesh’s Ballia as a man was shot dead in front of local officials yesterday.

Taking action on the incident, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath ordered the suspension of officials present at the spot of the incident.

As per the reports, 46-year-old Jaiprakash was allegedly shot dead by Dhirendra Singh, a BJP worker who is said to be close to party MLA Surendra Singh.

After the firing took place, a stampede followed that has been captured in a video.

It is worth noting that Surendra Singh was in news few days ago also for his statement amid the Hathras agitation by saying that in order to control over the rape cases, it’s the duty of all mothers and fathers to imbibe good values in their daughters and bring them up in cultured environments.

“I am a teacher along with being an MLA. Such incidents (like rape) can be stopped only with sanskar (culture), not with shasan (good governance) or talwar (referring to sword or might),” BJP MLA Surendra Singh had said while talking to a reporter.

The reporter had asked him a question: “Why do you think rape cases are continue even as is people say this is Ram Rajya?”

In the Balia incident, the video shows a large number of people on a field as three rounds are fired. People are seen as panicking and running frantically.

The victim was allegedly shot at a meeting in Durjanpur village after an official cancelled a meeting on the allotment of ration shops due to a dispute between the members who had gathered there, SP Devendra Nath told news agency PTI.

The meeting was held in a tent, where a large number of people gathered. Administration and police officials were also present there, local residents told PTI.

As reported by NDTV, MLA Surendra Singh confirmed that the accused heads the BJP’s ex-servicemen’s unit in Ballia and said such an incident “can happen anywhere.”

“This is a casualty that can happen anywhere. In this incident, there was stone-pelting from both sides. The law will take its own course in the matter,” the BJP legislator said.

A case has been registered by the police against 15-20 people on the complaint of the victim’s brother. However, no arrest has been made yet.

Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath ordered the suspension of the sub-divisional magistrate, a top police official and others soon after.

“Taking serious note of the incident, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath directed that SDM, CO and police personnel present on the spot all be suspended immediately and strictest action should be taken against the accused,” Additional Chief Secretary, Home, Awanish Kumar Awasthi said.

“The role of the officers shall be investigated and if responsible criminal action shall be taken,” he said.




Don’t want to ‘predict’ outcome of ongoing discussions: S Jaishankar on Ladakh talks


‘What is going on is something confidential between us and China and we will see how it plays out,’ he said.

Reacting on China’s remark on Ladakh, Foreign Minister S Jaishankar has said he would not wish to “predict” the outcome of the ongoing discussions between the two countries on the dispute.

“The discussions are going on. It is a work in progress and the first rule of my business is – don’t predict what is still going on,” he said at the Bloomberg India Economic Forum.

Foreign Minister’s remarks come a day after the seventh round of commander-level talks.

“What is going on is something confidential between us and China and we will see how it plays out,” he said.

Yesterday, India in a sharp assertion had said that China has no locus standi to comment on its internal matters. The comments come as a reaction to Beijing’s remarks after the opening of 44 bridges in border areas on Monday.

“The Union Territories of Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir have been, are and will remain an integral part of India,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said.

“Our position on Arunachal Pradesh has also been made clear several times. Arunachal Pradesh is an integral and inalienable part of India. This fact has also been clearly conveyed to the Chinese side on several occasions, including at the highest level,” he added.

On Monday, reacting on the construction of 44 new bridges near the borders which were opened by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, China had said it “does not recognize the Ladakh Union Territory” and opposes infrastructure building by India in the region.

“First I want to make it clear that China does not recognise the Ladakh Union Territory illegally set up by the Indian side and the Arunachal Pradesh. We stand against the development of infrastructure facilities aimed at military contention along the border area,” said the Chinese spokesperson.

Zhao Lijian, the spokesman for China’s Foreign Ministry, had also called border infrastructure development “the root cause for the tension between the two sides” and said neither side should take action that might escalate tension.





Top