Today Picture



Unnao rape survivor accident: Samajwadi Party leader's truck involved, CBI probe recommended


 



I gave it my all, sorry to let down people: CCD owner VG Siddhartha's letter to board


 



Yediyurappa government cancels nominations to government boards, corporations and commissions


 



Maharashtra government will provide compensation for flood-damaged houses in Badlapur: CM Devendra Fadnavis


Thane: The Maharashtra government will provide adequate compensation to the people from Kalyan and Badlapur towns whose houses were damaged in the July 26-27 rain and flood, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said on Monday.

The government will undertake a survey of damage caused to the houses and give adequate compensation to the affected people in these towns, he said at a function in Murbad. Heavy rains on July 26-27 had caused flooding and wreaked havoc in Kalyan and Badlapur towns of Thane district. Fadnavis said if needed, the government would take a decision on compensation in keeping in mind the new norms.

He said the last week's flood caused a lot of damage. Since 2005, a compensation of Rs 5,000 was being given for each of the dwelling damaged in floods or rains, Fadnavis said. He said the government will definitely consider giving substantial compensation for the damage. In addition, funds will be made available for repair of roads damaged in the flood in Kalyan and Badlapur, the CM said.

Fadnavis participated in a number of functions in Murbad in the afternoon. At one of the events, the chief minister said the government would soon make available to the Centre its share of 50 per cent of the cost of the proposed Kalyan-Murbad railway line. Amidst heavy downpour, the chief minister inaugurated an equestrian statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.

Fadnavis inaugurated a new building of the Murbad police station and also staff quarters. Addressing the gathering, BJP's Bhiwandi MP Kapil Patil made a surprise statement, saying he would like to contest the upcoming assembly elections in the state if the party gives him a ticket. "I would like to work as an MLA in the state rather than work as an MP," said Patil, elected from Bhiwandi, a powerloom town, just over two months ago.

 
 
 



700 passengers stranded onboard Mahalaxmi Express as heavy rains lash Mumbai


Mumbai: Mumbai-Kolhapur Mahalaxmi Express, with 700 passengers on board, was stranded as torrential rainfall continued to batter Mumbai on Saturday.

The train is held up between Vangani and Badlapur, which is 100 kilometres away from Mumbai, since 3 AM today, according to a passenger on board.

Speaking to ANI, Chief Public Relations Officer of Central Railways Sunil Udasi said Railway Protection Force and City police have reached the site where the train is held up, and biscuits and water is being distributed to the stranded passengers.

"We request passengers of Mahalaxmi Express not to get down from the train. The train is in a safe place. Staff, RPF and City Police are on the train to look after you. Please wait for advice from NDRF and other disaster management authorities," he appealed to passengers.

Meanwhile, Maharashtra's Directorate General of Information and Public Relations (DGIPR) Brijesh Singh said three boats have reached the spot where the train is stranded, adding that the Chief Secretary is looking into the situation himself.

Heavy rains lashed Mumbai, leading to traffic snarls and water-logging at several major junctions. Vehicles were seen wading through the waterlogged streets of Sion, Chembur, Gandhi Market at snail's pace due to heavy traffic jam.

Air traffic was also disrupted for a couple of hours in Mumbai, as seven flights were cancelled and around eight to nine were diverted. Around 8:15 am, Mumbai International Airport PRO had announced that flight operations returned to normal.

According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), Mumbai will continue to receive heavy rains till July 29 with the minimum and maximum temperatures hovering around 24 degree Celsius and 30 degree Celsius, respectively.

 
  •  



Mumbai Rains: 17 flights diverted, train services from Kalyan to Karjat suspended


Mumbai: Heavy rains lashed Mumbai on Friday flooding several areas and severely affecting the road, rail and air traffic.Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL) reported that 17 flights have been diverted so far.

The Public Relations Officer (PRO) for the MIAL said that the flights are getting delayed by 30 minutes on average due to heavy rains since two hours. Rail services too have been hampered by the intermittent rains.

"Very heavy rains in Kurla-Thane belt and very-very heavy rains beyond Kalyan. As a precautionary measure, we have suspended services from Kalyan to Karjat/Khopoli. Services on all other corridors of Central railway are running," Chief Public Relation Officer, Central Railway said.

 
 

Suburban services update: 08.00 hrs
Services are running in all sections except Kalyan-Karjat/Khopoli due to heavy rainfall leading to overflowing of Ulhas river between Ambarnath-Badlapur-Vangani.@RidlrMUM @m_indicator @mumbairailusers @mybmc @drmmumbaicr

 
 
 
 

Our request to passengers of Mahalaxmi Express, please don't get down from train. Train is the safe place. Staff, RPF and City Police is in train to look after your well being. Please wait for advice from NDRF and other disaster management authorities

 
 
 

Mumbai Police requested people not to venture in waterlogged areas and to maintain distance from the sea.

"City is expecting intermittent heavy showers all through the night. We request commuters to not venture in water-logged areas and also request you all to maintain distance from the sea. Please tweet to us or call on 100 in any emergency/need of help," said Mumbai Police.

Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) said rainfall intensity is "very likely" to increase over North Konkan during next 48 hours.

"Due to the strengthening of monsoon currents and formation of low-pressure area over North West Bay of Bengal, rainfall intensity is very likely to increase over North Konkan during next 48 hours," IMD said.

 




BS Yediyurappa to prove majority on July 29


Bengaluru: Karnataka's new Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa on Friday said he would hold a floor test to prove his majority in the state Assembly on Monday (July 29).

"At the cabinet meeting held soon after I took oath as Chief Minister, I decided to go for floor test in the Assembly on Monday at 10 a.m., to prove majority," the 75-year-old Yediyurappa said at a press conference in the state secretariat.

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader, who was sworn-in alone in his fourth term, also said he would table the finance bill after the trust vote to ensure the state budget for this fiscal (2019-20) is passed by the Assembly.

Yediyurappa also announced that his present one-man cabinet also decided to give Rs 4,000 cash benefit in two instalments of Rs 2,000 each to all farmers across the state under the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana, and waive loans availed by weavers in the state up to March 31, 2019 at a cost of Rs 100 crore.

Assuring the opposition parties Congress and JD-S of not doing vendetta politics, Yediyurappa said he would forgive and forget all and work for the development of the state.

"My priority is to address the problems of farmers, weavers, fishermen and agricultural labourers," he added.

The BJP has 105 members in the 225-member Assembly, whose strength is currently 222 after Speaker K.R. Ramesh Kumar on Thursday disqualified three Congress rebels for defying the whip issued for their presence in the House on July 23 when then Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy put the confidence motion he moved on July 18 to vote but lost. One Independent is also supporting the BJP.

With all the remaining 13 rebels deciding to abstain from the Assembly till the trust vote is conducted, the Speaker's decision on their resignations by Monday will make no difference for the trial of strength by Yediyurappa.

With the absence of the 13, the house strength will be 209, with 105 as the halfway mark for simple majority. The effective strength of the Congress in the House will be 63 out of original 79, while the JD-S has 34 legislators.

As the combined strength of the coalition allies will be 97, the BJP will be able to sail through the floor test even if the lone BSP member (N. Mahesh) decides to abstain," BJP's spokesman G. Madhusudan told IANS.

 
 
 



NCP faces existential crisis with Sharad Pawar losing his clout


Mumbai: The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has now become a sinking ship and is facing serious existential crisis with leaders leaving the party on a daily basis, literally.

The party is now witnessing desertion from prominent leaders which raises a poignant question, will any prominent leader stay on in this party? And if at all, for how long? This mass desertion by NCP leaders may eventually lead to NCP’s much-talked merger with the Congress party.

Once the battery of strong leaders leave this party, then its party chief Sharad Pawar will have little options. He may be forced to merge the party with the Congress, to ensure his family's relevance remains in Maharashtra politics.

After Sachin Ahir quit NCP, few others have followed in line. Among the prominent leaders expected to cross over are, Pankaj Bhujbal, son of former Deputy Chief minister Chhagan Bhujbal, who is expected to join the Shiv Sena on Monday. Along with him, Sangram Jagtap, a legislator from Ahmednagar district is expected to join the Sena.

Though the Shiv Saniniks are opposing Bhujbal family joining their party, the leadership is in no mood to entertain. Meanwhile, the NCP faced serious setback on Friday, when two sitting MLAs from Solapur district refused to appear for the interviews for ticket distribution.

The NCP leader, Ajit Pawar was in Solapur on Friday, to conduct interviews of ticket aspirants, but two legislators, Baban Shinde from Madha and Dilip Sopal from Barshi did not turn for their interviews.

A clear signal to their leadership, they will say bye bye to NCP. Baban is considered to be a strong leader from Solapur for the NCP. The NCP had given him a ticket from Madha Lok Sabha constituency. He however lost to the Bharatiya Janata Party candidate, Ranjit Naik-Nimbalkar, who had crossed over from Congress.

Sharad Pawar had in fact denied ticket to another NCP loyalist family, Mohite Patil to field Baban from Madha. This ultimately resulted in a rift and the die-hard NCP loyalist Mohite Patil family crossed over to the BJP.

In another twist, during the Ashadhi Ekdashi celebrations Baban welcomed the Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis at the Solapur Airport, giving signals of his intentions to cross over.

Ranjit Shinde, Baban's son is also said to be on his way to the BJP which is why he gave a miss to the interview. This bigger shock however, is that of Dilip Sopal, a close confidante of Pawar family who is on his way to join the Sena.

After Vaibhav Pichad and Shivendra Raje Bhosale hinted, they too will join the BJP, NCP is witnessing one of its worst exodus. In the last two months, Jayadutt Kshirsagar, Pandurang Barora and Sachin Ahir joined the Sena.

Rana Jagjit Singh Patil, legislator from Osmanabad district and son of former minister Padam Singh Patil, Bhaskar Jadhav, former minister and senior NCP leader too are expected to leave the party.

 



ED arrests Satish Babu Sana in connection with Moin Qureshi case


New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has arrested Satish Babu Sana, a Hyderabad-based businessman, in connection with the money laundering case against meat exporter Moin Qureshi, the agency officials said on Saturday.

During investigation by the law enforcement agency, it came to the fore that Sana was a close aid of Qureshi, who is accused of hawala transactions through Delhi-based operators.

In October last year, on the basis of a complaint filed by Sana, a case was registered against the then CBI director Alok Verma and special director Rakesh Asthana on charges of accepting a bribe from a businessman, who was related to controversial meat exporter Moin Akhtar Qureshi case.

 
 
 



Opposition accuses BJP of manipulating ballot paper during voting on RTI Bill


New Delhi: Opposition on Thursday accused the BJP of manipulating ballot papers during the voting on the Right to Right to Information (Amendment) Bill, 2019 in Rajya Sabha.

The Bill was passed by voice vote after witnessing chaos and pandemonium after the house rejected opposition's demand to refer it to Select Committee. As the voting process was going on, some of the members from the treasury benches were seen instructing other members. Soon after opposition members angrily rushed towards them. They were having some arguments with C M Ramesh, who recently quit TDP to join the BJP.

As the confrontation took ugly shape with some of the opposition members objecting Ramesh's act, Deputy Chairman Harivansh asked him to go back to his seat. The opposition members trooped into the well and started sloganeering against the government. Miffed with the behaviour of Ramesh and other BJP members, Leader of the Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad accused the treasury benches of intimidating the opposition members.

"The House has just now witnessed how the members are being intimidated. It is a sample of how the BJP won 303 seats," he said. The senior Congress leader alleged that the ruling party members get signatures from members who do not understand the process. "Don't make the parliament a government department. They are killing democracy. We don't have any faith on this government," he said and then the Congress and other opposition members staged a walkout.

After the Bill was passed, Trinamool Congress' Derek O'Brien took on twitter to attack the government, saying the Right to Information became "Right to Intimidation". "In the larger interest of democracy, Rajya Sabha TV should air all footage of what transpired in the House today while voting to send the RTI Bill to a Parliament committee. RTI Right to Information became RTI Right to Intimidation. Did the same tactics get BJP 303 seats," he said.

"On voting in RS today on RTI Bill. BJP MP caught red-handed trying to manipulate; had multiple ballot papers with him. He was influencing MPs distributing and collecting ballot papers Shame Appeal to Rajya Sabha TV to share video footage recorded on multi-cameras," he said without taking Ramesh's name. Later talking to reporters outside parliament, Azad said the opposition parties would raise the issue when the Rajya Sabha meets on Friday.

Responding to the allegations, Ramesh said that the opposition parties didn't have the numbers and that's why they were "putting blame" on him. The BJP rejected the allegations as "baseless "Opposition including the Congress walked out of Rajya Sabha on RTI bill because they lacked the numbers. Only 75 MPs voted to send the bill to Select Committee.

Leader of Opposition's Ghulam Nabi Azad silly and baseless accusations questioning today's vote and 2019 mandate show them as bad and arrogant losers," BJP spokesperson and Rajya Sabha MP GVL Narasimha Rao tweeted. The Bill seeks to empower the Centre to make rules to decide the tenure, salary, allowances and other terms of service of Information Commissioners of the Central Information Commission and also of State Information Commissions.

 
 
 




Top