Shocking! Hyderabad teen kills and burns friend for smartphone


Hyderabad (Telangana): A 19-year-old youth has been arrested by the Hyderabad Police for murdering and burning the body of his 17-year-old friend from the neighbourhood allegedly for his smartphone. According to ACP, Malkajgiri, the arrested youth who has been identified as G Prem Sagar picked the deceased D Prem from Uppal and took him to an isolated place in Adibatla where he attacked him with a stick before setting him ablaze. Both accused and deceased were from the same locality.

“The accused after picking Prem took him to Adibatla by saying that he is taking him to a long drive on his motorcycle. After reaching there, the accused took the minor to a lone place and attacked him with a stick on his head, and when the boy fell unconscious the accused poured petrol on minor and set him ablaze. The minor has died on the spot,” the police said.

The police further said that they had registered a missing case after receiving a complaint from Prem’s family on July 14 and took up the investigation. The police rounded up Sagar and during questioning, he admitted killing Prem after the latter’s refusal to give him his smartphone. The accused has been charged under Sections 302, 364 and 201 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The accused has been sent to the judicial remand.




Sambhal: One more accused arrested for burning woman resisting gang-rape


Uttar Pradesh: The Uttar Pradesh Police have arrested one more accused in the Sambhal district case, where a woman was charred to death for resisting gangrape. Yesterday, the police arrested two of five accused in the matter. Superintendent of Police, Sambal district, RN Bhardwaj had yesterday confirmed the news of the arrest and said the investigation is underway.

Speaking to ANI, the victim’s husband had said that he and his wife were threatened by the accused. “I was in Noida when I received a call from my wife asking me to come. Then, he threatened me and my wife that he would kill us. By the time I came, the investigation was already underway,” the husband had said. The woman was burnt alive by five unidentified people on July 14, after she resisted gang rape.Uttar Pradesh: The Uttar Pradesh Police have arrested one more accused in the Sambhal district case, where a woman was charred to death for resisting gangrape. Yesterday, the police arrested two of five accused in the matter. Superintendent of Police, Sambal district, RN Bhardwaj had yesterday confirmed the news of the arrest and said the investigation is underway.

Speaking to ANI, the victim’s husband had said that he and his wife were threatened by the accused. “I was in Noida when I received a call from my wife asking me to come. Then, he threatened me and my wife that he would kill us. By the time I came, the investigation was already underway,” the husband had said. The woman was burnt alive by five unidentified people on July 14, after she resisted gang rape.




Kulbhushan Jadhav Case: Pakistan to file second counter-memorial in ICJ today


Islamabad: Pakistan will file its second counter-memorial in the International Court of Justice (ICJ) on Tuesday, on the conviction of retired Indian naval officer Kulbhushan Jadhav, who was sentenced to death in April last year on charges of espionage and terrorism.

The 400-page reply will be submitted by Foreign Office Director India Dr Fareha Bugti, who has arrived at The Hague for the purpose, Geo TV reported. Pakistan’s rejoinder has been prepared by a team of experts led by Pakistan’s Attorney General. Islamabad, in its counter-memorial, states that Jadhav is not an ordinary person and does not fall under the purview of the Vienna Convention.

On April 17, India had submitted a fresh set of pleadings in the ICJ. The pleadings were filed in response to Pakistan’s submissions to the court. Pakistan was given time until July 17 by the court to file its response (rejoinder). It may be recalled that India first approached the court on May 8 last year, for egregious violations of the provisions of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, 1963, by Pakistan in the matter.

The court, on May 18 last year, indicated provisional measures as requested by India and passed an order obligating Pakistan not to carry out the sentence that was awarded to Jadhav through a farcical trial by Pakistan. As per the court order, India had filed written pleadings (Memorial) in the case on September 13, 2017, and Pakistan filed its counter-memorial in December last year.

Jadhav was arrested in Balochistan, Pakistan, over charges of alleged involvement in espionage and subversive activities for India’s intelligence agency – the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW). India, however, maintains that Jadhav was a former naval officer and kidnapped from Iran, where he had business interests after retiring from the Indian Navy.

On April 10, 2017, Jadhav was sentenced to death by a Field General Court Martial (FGCM) in Pakistan. Over a month later, the ICJ stayed the hanging after India approached it against the death sentence.




Rath Yatra: Lord Jagannath’s annual Yatra begins, PM Narendra Modi sends offerings


Ahmedabad: The 141st Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath commenced this morning in the city amid tight security as lakhs of devotees flocked to the 18km route to catch a glimpse of the deity. Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani and Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel performed ‘Pahind Vidhi’ – a symbolic ritual of cleaning the way for the chariots using a golden broom.

The chariots of Lord Jagannath, his brother Balbhadra and sister Subhadra, then embarked on the yatra from the 400- year-old Jagannath Temple in the Jamalpur area. Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted people on the occasion and hoped Lord Jagannath’s blessings will help the country scale new heights of development.

“Greetings on the auspicious occasion of Rath Yatra. With the blessings of Lord Jagannath, may our country scale new heights of growth. May every Indian be happy and prosperous. Jai Jagannath!” the PM tweeted.

 

Narendra Modi

@narendramodi
 Greetings on the auspicious occasion of Rath Yatra. 

With the blessings of Lord Jagannath, may our country scale new heights of growth. May every Indian be happy and prosperous. 

Jai Jagannath!

6:26 AM - Jul 14, 2018
15.1K
5,125 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Before the annual Rath Yatra started, BJP president Amit Shah performed “mangla aarti” (auspicious ritual to pay obeisance to Lord) of the deities in the temple during the early hours. Besides the three chariots of Lord Jagannath, his brother Balram and sister Subhadra, the Rath Yatra procession comprised 18 decorated elephants, 101 trucks with tableaux, members of 30 religious groups and 18 singing troupes.

The Rath Yatra is taken out every year on Ashadhi Bij, the second day of Ashad month, as per the Hindu calendar. The procession will come back to the temple at 8.30 pm today after passing through the Old City, including some communally sensitive areas like Jamalpur, Kalupur, Shahpur and Dariyapur. Over 20,200 personnel drawn from the city police, Home Guards, the State Reserve Police (SRP) and para-military forces were deployed at strategic locations along the 18km-long yatra route to prevent any untoward incident.




JNU makes attendance compulsory for teachers


New Delhi: The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) has made attendance mandatory for teachers. The decision was taken at the university’s 146th Academic Council meeting on Friday.

“While JNU had already implemented the rules of attendance for students and administrative staff, the 146th AC meeting through its resolution has made attendance mandatory for the teaching community as well, JNU faculty need to give attendance at least once in a day,” JNU rector-1 Chintamani Mahapatra said in a statement. The university, during the meeting, took a series of decisions on various issues that would “bring about major improvements in academic and research activities of the university.” At the AC meeting, it was also decided that entrance examinations to JNU will go completely online from next session in order to ensure “fair and bias-free” examinations.

“An important decision has been taken by the AC to make JNU Entrance Examinations completely computer-based, i.e. online mode. Many members pointed out during an hour long discussion on this issue that the admission process in JNU will now be fairer, efficient, secure and bias-free,”the statement read. The Academic Council also decided that during the registration process at the beginning of every semester, all the incoming and continuing students are required to give an undertaking that they will abide by the attendance rules.

In addition, the Academic Council also adopted certain rules and regulations which will improve governance and accountability of all the stakeholders of the university, such as students, teachers and staff. The council also took “a student-friendly decision” by making it mandatory for all teachers to show the corrected answer scripts to the students before finalising the grades. “This will help in making sure that all student paper evaluations are fair and transparent,” the statement added.

The AC meeting also approved the introduction of a two-year MSc M.Sc. Degree Programme in Mathematics in the School of Physical Sciences. Mahapatra, in the statement, further said a decision had been taken to put in place a university level time-table. He added that the decision will enable the student community to make choices for taking up courses in various schools and also lead to proper time management and better utilization of available class room space.




Navy War Room leak case: Delhi court sentences retired captain Rathore to 7 yrs rigorous imprisonment


New Delhi: A Delhi court today awarded seven-year rigorous imprisonment to retired captain Salam Singh Rathore in an offshoot of the 2006 Navy War Room leak case, saying he had committed the offence against national security.

Special CBI Judge S K Aggarwal handed down the jail term to Rathore for the offence of spying under the Official Secrets Act.

The judge convicted the accused under Section 3(1) C of the 1923 Official Secrets Act, but acquitted another accused, Commander (retired) Jarnail Singh Kalra, in the case. The court, while awarding the sentence, considered the submission of the prosecutor that several secret documents were recovered from the possession of Rathore which he could not account for.




Supreme Court slams Centre for being ‘lethargic’ in protecting Taj Mahal, says it is a ‘hopeless cause’


New Delhi: The Supreme Court today slammed the Centre and its authorities for their “lethargy” in taking steps to protect the Taj Mahal, dubbing the issue of preserving the historic medieval structure a “hopeless cause”.

The apex court also expressed anguish over the Uttar Pradesh government failed to come out with a vision document to preserve and protect the Taj Mahal. It directed the Centre to furnish full details of the steps taken and action required to be taken for protecting the iconic monument.

A bench of Justices M B Lokur and Deepak Gupta said no concrete steps have been taken by the government, despite a parliamentary standing committee report on Taj’s protection. The Centre told the bench that Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur was assessing air pollution level in and around the mausoleum and will give its report in four months.


It said a special committee has also been set up to find the source of pollution in and around the Taj, which will suggest measures to prevent it. The bench said it will hear the matter on da ay-to-day basis from July 31.




Aircel-Maxis case: P Chidambaram says, ED carrying out witch hunt against him


New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram today accused the Enforcement Directorate (ED) of carrying out a witch-hunt against him in the Aircel-Maxis case, saying he has not been named in the FIR and the allegations will be answered in court. The former finance minister’s comments came a day after a Delhi court extended the protection from arrest granted to him and his son Karthi in the case till August 7.

“In the Aircel-Maxis case, there is no FIR mentioning a scheduled offence and no public servant has been named. ED is on a witch-hunt and the allegations will be answered in Court,” Chidambaram said on Twitter. On May 30, Chidambaram had moved the court seeking protection from arrest in the case, saying all evidence in the matter appears to be documentary in nature. It is already in possession of the incumbent government and nothing is to be recovered from him, he said.

The court had earlier granted interim protection from arrest till yesterday to Karthi in two cases filed by the CBI and ED in 2011 and 2012, respectively, in the Aircel-Maxis matter arising out of the 2G spectrum cases. The matter pertains to the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) clearance being given to the firm M/S Global Communication Holding Services Ltd for investment in Aircel. Chidambaram was finance minister at the time.




Raipur: The mother gave birth to her lever: Save the life of her son: A successful liver transplant in Chhattisgarh's baby in Delhi with the help of the government


On special initiative of Chief Minister-Labor Minister
Union Health Minister from National Health Fund
14 lakh rupees help
Labor Minister Shri Rajwade will bear the expenditure of Rs 10 lakh after the operation

Chief Minister Dr. Raman Singh and Labor Minister Shri Bhaiyalal Rajwada Special Initiative and Union Minister of Health Shri J.P. With the help of 14 lakh rupees from Nadda, Ashwin, a four-year-old youngest child of a poor working family resident of Village Rampur (Patna) of Korea district, has got a new life.

    This young child's liver transplant was successfully done at the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences in New Delhi today. Her mother gave her a liver for transplant to save her liver piece. The parents of the child do their livelihood by doing labor-wages in the village of Mrs. Sunita Sahu and Mr. Rajpal Sahu. Today, they are very pleased to see the star of their eyes healthy. It is noteworthy that the Chief Minister, Mr. J.P. Nadda had written a letter asking for this child's free treatment. The funds of 14 lakh rupees (fourteen lakh rupees) were sanctioned immediately from the National Health Fund for the transplant of the child by the Central Health Ministry on the instructions of Mr. Nadda and this amount was given to the hospital. To save the life of his liver, his mother, Mrs. Sunita Sahu gave her lever, whose doctors successfully transplanted.

The parents of the youngest child - Mrs. Sunita Sahu and Mr. Rajpal Sahu were living in the village in very poor condition. The baby had lever disease from birth. When doctors told him the need for his son's liver transplant, he became very worried about the huge expenditure. After revolving around Delhi and Lucknow, their well-financed capital ended.


    Meanwhile, when Chief Minister Dr. Raman Singh was on a migration to Korea District a few months ago, this poor parent met him to save his child's life. The Chief Minister sanctioned one lakh 50 thousand rupees for the initial medical examination of the child from Sanjivani Fund. Dr. Raman Singh, Union Health Minister, Mr. J.P., for the help of transplanting the child. Nadda immediately wrote a letter. At the same time, he gave the responsibility of completing further action for the treatment of the child to the Labor Minister and Mr Bhayyalal Rajwada, MLA of Bakunthpur. While making an active initiative on behalf of Mr. Rajwada, this poor family has been provided the facility of accommodation for treatment in Delhi. Mrs. Sunita and Mr. Rajpal Sahu are residing in the rented house in Basant Kunj, Delhi for approximately two and a half months for the treatment of their child. On successful operation today, Chief Minister Dr. Raman Singh and Labor Minister Shri Rajwada expressed happiness and prayed for the healthy and happy life of the child. According to the doctors, after the liver transplantation, the cost of about one million rupees is possible on child's medicines. The Labor Minister, Shri Rajwada has promised to bear this expenditure on his behalf.




Demonetisation: IAF aircraft deployed new demo currency


New Delhi: Over Rs 29.41 crore was spent on use of the IAF ultra-modern transport aircraft — the C-17 and the C-130J Super Hercules — to ferry newly-issued Rs 2,000 and Rs 500 currency notes post-demonetisation, according to an RTI reply. The move to scrap the old Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on November 8, 2016, and saw 86 per cent of the currency being sucked out of the system, needing an urgent operation to replenish it with the new Rs 2,000 and Rs 500 notes.

According to the response provided by the IAF, its frontline transport aircraft undertook 91 sorties to transport bundles of currency from security printing presses and mints to various destinations across the country after the Rs 1,000 and the Rs 500 notes were demonetised by the government in a sudden move on November 8, 2016. The IAF, in turn, had billed the government-owned Security Printing and Minting Corporation of and the Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Private Ltd Rs 29.41 crore for its services.

According to Commodore Lokesh Batra (retd), who furnished the RTI reply, the government should have avoided using defence assets and instead could have easily requisitioned the services of civil transport aircraft. This situation could have been avoided, had the government fully prepared itself before making the announcement to demonetise currency notes of Rs 1,000 and Rs 500 on November 8, 2016, he said.

5 countries that tried demonetisation and were successful
Post-demonetisation, the RBI had spent Rs 7,965 crore in 2016-17 on printing the new Rs 500 and Rs 2,000 notes, and those of other denomination, more than double the Rs 3,421 crore it had spent in the previous year.

The demonetisation was hailed as a step that would curb black money, corruption and check counterfeit currency, but the RBI, in its annual report for 2017 had said just 7.1 pieces of Rs 500 note per million in circulation and 19.1 pieces of Rs 1,000 notes per million in circulation were found to be fake in its sample survey.

The Bankers’ Bank had said that as much as 99 per cent of the junked Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes had returned to the banking system, which had prompted the opposition to question the efficacy of the government’s unprecedented note ban decision to curb black money and corruption.

Following the note ban, old notes were allowed to be deposited in banks, with unusual deposits coming under the Income Tax department’s scrutiny. A collateral damage as a result of the rise in printing and other costs was the diminished dividend RBI pays to the government. The RBI had said its income for 2016-17 decreased by 23.56 per cent, while expenditure jumped 107.84 per cent.




99 Total
Top