U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Sanders drops out, paves way for Biden's nomination


U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Sanders drops out, paves way for Biden's nomination

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders dropped out from the race Wednesday, paving the way for the party's only remaining candidate Joe Biden to become the Democratic nominee.

In a speech delivered via live stream to supporters in the morning, Sanders said his "path toward victory is virtually impossible," with some 300 less delegate votes than Biden's.

"So while we are winning the ideological battle and while we are winning the support of so many young people and working people throughout the country, I have concluded that this battle for the Democratic nomination will not be successful," he said. "And so today I am announcing the suspension of my campaign."

A senator from Vermont and a self-proclaimed democratic socialist, Sanders has been lagging behind former Vice President Biden in several past primaries, starting in South Carolina in late February and culminating in the crucial states of Michigan and Florida last month, before the coronavirus outbreak disrupted the election process.

While admitting he cannot continue a "campaign that cannot win and which would interfere in the important work required of all of us in this difficult hour," Sanders insisted that he and his supporters have won on the ideological front.

"Few would deny that over the course of the past five years our movement has won the ideological struggle," said 78-year-old Sanders.

Over the course of the nominating contest, Biden - a moderate as opposed to Sanders' progressive stance - has built up a virtually insurmountable lead in the decisive delegate votes, garnering over half of the 1,991 votes needed for nomination, thus continuously narrowing Sanders' path toward a one-on-one with incumbent President Donald Trump in the general election.

The veteran politician said he will remain on the ballot in states that still expect to have primaries despite the COVID-19 pandemic, and that he will continue to gather delegates in order to carry his message forward. "While this campaign is coming to an end, our movement is not."

Sanders has campaigned on a progressive policy agenda that includes Medicare for All through a government-led healthcare system, the Green New Deal to cope with the climate change, and College for All that guarantees tuition- and debt-free public college, among other proposals.

In a tweet following Sanders' dropping out, Biden said: "I know Bernie well. He's a good man, a great leader, and one of the most powerful voices for change in our country. And it's hard to sum up his contributions to our politics in one, single tweet. So I won't try to."

While trying to appeal to Sanders' supporters by saying "I need to earn your votes," Biden vowed: "Together we will defeat Donald Trump," with a particular emphasis on issues of climate change, affordable college education, as well as universally available healthcare.

"I want to commend Bernie for being a powerful voice for a fairer and more just America," Biden said in a lengthy statement eulogizing his rival. "While the Sanders campaign has been suspended - its impact on this election and on elections to come is far from over."

Trump reacted on Twitter as well, saying Sanders' exit was what the Democrats and the Democratic National Committee "wanted."

Having repeatedly claimed in the past that the Democratic race is "rigged against" Sanders, the president in his latest tweet took a name-calling blame on progressive-leaning former Democratic candidate Elizabeth Warren, saying had it not been for the Massachusetts senator, "Bernie would have won almost every state on Super Tuesday" in early March.

The president called on Sanders' supporters to "come to the Republican Party."

Now trailing presumptive nominee Biden in delegate votes 914 to 1,217, Sanders ran for president in the 2016 race but was defeated by Hilary Clinton in the Democratic nominating process.

 
 
 



Major cities in Japan appear quiet on 1st day in state of emergency


Major cities in Japan appear quiet on 1st day in state of emergency

TOKYO-- Major Japanese cities including the capital of Tokyo became unusually quiet on Wednesday, with many shops closed and fewer people on streets on the first day after a state of emergency was declared to contain the fast spread of COVID-19 infections across the country.

The state of emergency will be in place until May 6 and covers Tokyo and other major prefectures including Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Osaka, Hyogo and Fukuoka. Aside from supermarkets, drugstores and others which provide essential services, many businesses in those areas were closed following the government's request for people to stay at home and limit social contact.

Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings Ltd. closed all of its six Mitsukoshi and Isetan department stores in the metropolitan area, while Matsuya Co.'s store in Tokyo's Ginza shopping area was also closed. However, sections selling food continued to open at some other department stores.

Meanwhile, movie theaters, bowling alleys and shops inside station buildings were also among closed businesses.

Train and bus companies in the Tokyo area said they are operating as usual on Wednesday, adding that they may reduce or suspend services if the government makes a request or if they face a significant decline in users.

Airlines in Japan have already reduced their flights drastically before the state of emergency was declared, but they may further slash flights if the number of travelers continues to drop.

In some stations in central Tokyo, the number of people was apparently less than usual.

A 59-year-old company executive told local media in front of a station, "On a usual morning, traffic is very busy here, but I feel there are significantly fewer commuters (today)."

"We have employees working from home, but there are tasks that force me to come to the office, such as dealing with documents that need to be signed with a seal," he added.

Some restaurant chains are staying open, but with shorter service hours. McDonald's Co. has continued to operate most of its outlets except those inside closed commercial facilities, while some locations stopped providing around-the-clock service.

Starbucks Coffee Japan, Ltd. will close some 850 shops located in the seven prefectures targeted by the declaration from Thursday, while shops in other areas will close earlier than usual at 7 p.m.

The Japan Sport Council said on Wednesday that it will close two major Olympic training facilities until May 6. During the period, athletes will be unable to use the National Training Center and Japan Institute of Sports Sciences, both in Tokyo.

Government officials said Tokyo reported 144 COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, marking the highest daily increase. The previous high figure was 143 cases logged Sunday.

The total number of infections confirmed in the capital now climbed to over 1,338, with 1,112 people hospitalized and 31 deaths from the pneumonia-causing virus as of Tuesday evening. Across Japan, the number of infections increased to 4,768 as of 6:30 p.m. local time Wednesday.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe declared a month-long state of emergency on Tuesday, covering about 56 million people, or about 45 percent of the country's total population.

While it enables prefectural governors to take measures such as instructing citizens to stay at home and restricting the operation of schools and other facilities, penalties or punitive measures cannot be issued to citizens or businesses who opt not to follow requests from prefectural governors.

 
 
 



Coronavirus Update from China: Disney studies China's experience to prepare for operation in future


Coronavirus Update from China: Disney studies China's experience to prepare for operation in future

LOS ANGELES-- Bob Iger, Disney chairman and former CEO, said the company is "very carefully" studying China's actions in terms of the country's return to normalcy and hinted that Disney World and other parks could screen for illnesses when they are reopened.

In an interview with Barron's published Tuesday, Iger explained that in order to keep customers safe from the fatal novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, some necessary prevention measures such as taking people's temperatures would be applied before an ultimate vaccine was developed.

He argued that safety could basically come from more scrutiny or more restrictions, saying "just as we now do bag checks for everybody that goes into our parks."

He disclosed the team at Disney is studying China's experience. The megacity of Wuhan was finally reconnected to the rest of the world on Tuesday after a 76-day coronavirus lockdown.

"One of the things that's obvious is they've conscripted a large segment of their population to monitor others in terms of their health," Iger said. "You can't get on a bus or a subway or a train or enter a high-rise building there - and I'm sure this will be the case when their schools reopen - without having your temperature taken."

Disney parks are preparing for a world where customers demand scrutinizing everybody, he said, predicting that even if the prevention measures create a little bit of hardship, like taking a little bit longer for people to get in, but people will accept them.

Meanwhile, Iger admitted that the pandemic is the "biggest business interruption" Disney has faced, but he remains optimistic about the long-term prospects of business.

"We know when it ends that we will have things for the public to enjoy and to escape to, maybe in ways they will appreciate more than they ever have," he said.

 
 
 



Don’t let virus stop your marathon


Don’t let virus stop your marathon

When the coronavirus outbreak forced organisers to cancel marathons in the Japanese city of Nagoya, they turned to tech to ease the disappointment, offering runners the chance to race alone.

The Nagoya Women's Marathon and Nagoya City marathon were scheduled for March 8 and expected to attract some 20,000 runners -- a potential health hazard during a global pandemic.

So instead of having racers run together, organisers have offered up two apps to allow participants to complete the marathons alone, tracked online.

"It's the first time the annual marathon events were cancelled, and it's the first time we launched apps to replace the real ones," one of the organisers of the Nagoya city marathon told AFP.

Instead of running the original route, registered participants can run wherever they like -- keeping an appropriate social distance -- and the apps measure and verify their performance.

There are two apps -- one for those who want to finish the marathon in one go and another for those who want to complete it by running over several days.

Runners can complete the marathons between March 8 and May 31, the official race website says.

The organisers said on their website that they wanted to respond to the spirit shown by those who trained for the now-cancelled races.

 
 
 



British Airways pilot becomes delivery driver


British Airways pilot becomes delivery driver
 



Better days will return: Queen Elizabeth II address UK


Better days will return: Queen Elizabeth II address UK

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, in a rare televised address to the nation, invoked a war-time spirit of self-discipline and resolve to fight the coronavirus pandemic which has killed nearly 5,000 in the country and about 70,000 people globally, assuring Britons that "better days will return".

The 93-year-old British monarch and Head of the 54-member Commonwealth of nations which includes India, acknowledged the grief, pain and financial difficulties being faced the world over during this "time of disruption" and expressed the hope that the whole world was uniting in a "common endeavour".

"I hope in the years to come everyone will be able to take pride in how they responded to this challenge," she said on Sunday, in a four-minute speech.

 
 
 



Venezuelan naval ship sinks after 'ramming' into Portuguese cruise liner that had docked in international waters


Venezuelan naval ship sinks after 'ramming' into Portuguese cruise liner that had docked in international waters

In a bizarre case, a Venezuelan Naval vessel sank after it aggressively bumped into a cruise ship in international waters, the BBC reported.

According to the report the naval vessel Naiguata also fired shots on the Portuguese vessel RCGS Resolute in ‘an act of aggression in international waters’.

Twitter user Canocola has an entire thread explaining the turn of events. According to him, the cruise-liner that ‘specialises in penguin bothering, stopped to repair her engines in international waters.’

According to Canocola, the naval ship was also better equipped with arms


@canocola
@Canocola
 · Apr 4, 2020
Replying to @Canocola
At this point it's worth reviewing both ships armaments.

Seen here posing moodily in the manner of a teenager that has just discovered My Chemical Romance, Naiguatá had a 76mm main gun, a air/missile defence gun, two smaller machine guns and presumably also some small arms.

View image on Twitter

@canocola
@Canocola
Resolute, on the other hand, is armed with nothing more deadly than a well-stocked library, Finnish sauna, and "a superb international wine list". 

Some of its passengers are believed to have had binoculars.

View image on Twitter
2,122
2:09 AM - Apr 4, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
140 people are talking about this
He added that the cruise-liner unlike The Titanic, had been built to withstand an iceberg collision, which meant that the naval ship had no chance. The cruise liner only suffered minor damages.

However, Venezuelan journalist Anya Parampil has shared a video, claiming that the cruise liner was the aggressor and after the collision, its staff left the naval staff to drown.


Anya Parampil

@anyaparampil
 · Apr 4, 2020
Venezuela’s Armed Forces has released audio of the exchange between its Navy and a Portuguese ship which sailed into its waters w/o authorization & failed to comply with orders before ramming into the Venezuelan ship & capsizing it 
 
Courtesy: @ArmadaFANB

Embedded video

Anya Parampil

@anyaparampil
Video of moment a Portuguese ship rams into a Venezuelan naval boat after sailing into Venezuelan waters & ignoring orders 

The Portuguese ship left the Venezuelans soldiers to drown after capsizing their boat. The sailors were later rescued by compatriots @ArmadaFANB

Embedded video
568
2:00 PM - Apr 4, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
549 people are talking about this
Venezuela has accused the cruise ship of aggression and piracy, and has added that it did not rule that the ship ‘was transporting mercenaries to attack military bases in Venezuela.




Coronavirus enters second Greek migrant camp


Coronavirus enters second Greek migrant camp

Officials in Greece on Sunday placed a second migrant camp near Athens under lockdown after an Afghan resident tested positive for the coronavirus, the migration ministry said.

Officials said the camp in Malakasa, some 38 kilometres (24 miles) northeast of Athens, had been placed under "full sanitary lockdown" for 14 days, with no one allowed to enter or leave.

The ministry said the 53-year-old Afghan man, who has a prior ailment, had personally sought help with virus symptoms at the in-camp medical facility.

He was subsequently taken to an Athens hospital where he tested positive, and his family was quarantined.

A full screening of the camp is in process, the ministry said.

Among Greek migrant camps, where tens of thousands of asylum-seekers live in dire conditions, there is already an outbreak at a facility in Ritsona near Athens where 23 people have so far tested positive.

 
 
 



Coronavirus Update: Spain’s deaths fall for 3rd day


Coronavirus Update: Spain’s deaths fall for 3rd day

Spain saw its third consecutive daily decline in the number of people dying from the coronavirus pandemic as the country recorded another 674 fatalities on Sunday.

The health ministry said total deaths were now 12,418, the highest in the world after Italy, since the pandemic emerged in China in December.

The 674 fatalities, which were sharply down on the record 950 recorded on April 2, represented an increase of 5.7 percent over the last 24 hours, compared to a 30 percent leap in one recent day.

The number of infections rose 4.8 percent to 130,759, indicating a slowdown in the spread from 8.2 percent on April 1 and 14 percent 10 days ago.

The number of people declared to have recovered has increased by 11 percent, rising above 38,080.

The authorities say they believe they have stabilised the spread of the virus but have decided to extend until midnight April 25 a strict lockdown imposed on Spain's 46.6 million people since March 14.

 
 
 



Grumpy Russian kills 5 for ‘talking loudly’


Grumpy Russian kills 5 for ‘talking loudly’

A man in central Russia shot and killed five people for talking noisily at night under his windows, investigators said Sunday. The shootings took place in the Ryazan region during stay-at-home orders aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus. A 32-year-old man from the small town of Yelatma opened fire on a group of four young men and a woman who "were talking loudly in the street under his windows" at around 10 pm on Saturday, investigators said.

Yelatma is located near the city of Ryazan, which is situated some 200 kilometers (120 miles) southeast of the capital Moscow. The man went to his balcony to complain to the group and a dispute erupted before he reached for his single-barrel hunting rifle, the Investigative Committee said. "They all died of their injuries on the spot," it said in a statement.

The suspect whose name was not released has been arrested. His apartment has been searched and the weapon seized. Deputy Ryazan region governor Igor Grekov travelled to the scene of the shootings on Sunday.

 
 
 



Top