Today Picture



ISIS suspect planned to assassinate PM Modi by sniper attack, Gujarat ATS chargesheet reveals shocking details


A charge sheet filed by the Gujarat Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) against two ISIS terrorists, Ubaid Mirza and Mohammad Kasim Stimberwala, last month, claims that an unidentified associate of one of the two arrested men talked about assassinating Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The charge sheet against Mirza and Mohammad Kasim Stimberwala — both arrested last October — was filed before the chief judicial magistrate at Ankleshwar in Bharuch district. ATS arrested them from Ankleshwar on October 25, 2017.

The chargesheet mentions that the intention to assassinate PM Modi was expressed in a conversation on a messaging application by one Ubaid Mirza, an alleged member of ISIS. “Yeah, let’s take out Modi with a sniper rifle.” According to reports, Mirza has been arrested and files were extracted from his phone and pen drive.

ATS added that Kasim Stimberwala had resigned three weeks before he was arrested. Stimberwala was planning to flee to Jamaica to join the jihadi activities under Shaikh Abdullah Al Faisal. ATS officials have discovered a work permit in his name from September 22, 2017, to September 2019. According to reports, ATS has collected this information from suspected IS agents who have now turned informants.


As per mentioned in DNA, the chargesheet says, Mirza, on September 10, 2016, at 11:24 pm, had messaged: “Pistol buy karna ho surely….then I will try to find a contact with him (If a pistol is to be bought, I will try to find a contact with him)”. It is not clear that to whom Mirza was referring as ‘him’.

At about 11:28 pm, Mirza received a reply from a social media contact calling himself `Ferrari’: “Yeah, let’s take (Prime Minister Narendra) Modi out with a sniper rifle Insha-Allah”. When ‘Ferrari’ mentioned a Russian-made gun, Mirza promptly replied, “I want it”.

In another WhatsApp chat with Ferrari on July 26, 2016, Mirza was told that ISIS handlers had asked its modules and lone-wolf attackers in India to use machetes and big chopping knives to target people. Instead of taking the risk of buying guns and assembling explosives, one can target people, “especially foreign citizens”, using chopping knives, Ferrari told Mirza.




PM Modi arrives in Nepal for 2-day visit, to hold talks with Oli


Janakpur: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived here today on a two-day state visit to Nepal during which he will hold talks with the country’s top leadership to build mutual trust.

Defence Minister Ishwar Pokhrel and Province 2 Chief Minister Lalbabu Raut received Prime Minister Modi at the airport. This is the third visit of Prime Minister Modi to Nepal and the first high-level visit from India since the formation of the new Government in Nepal this year.

 

ANI

@ANI
 #WATCH: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives at #Nepal's Janakpur Airport.

10:35 AM - May 11, 2018
97
43 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
In Janakpur, Modi will visit the 20th century Janaki temple and offer special prayers. Later, Prime Minister Modi will be accorded a civic reception by the Janakpur Sub-Metropolitan City at Barhabigha ground. Nepalese Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli has reached Janaki temple to welcome his Indian counterpart.

Ahead of his visit, Modi said India would remain a steadfast partner of the Himalayan nation in its quest for growth and development. Describing his trip to Nepal as a reflection of his government’s commitment to “neighbourhood first” policy, Modi had said the Himalayan nation has entered a new era and India would continue to support it.




Another ‘gem’ from Tripura CM Biplab Deb: Rabindranath Tagore returned Nobel Prize in protest against British


Newly-elected Tripura CM Biplab Deb is in the news for all the wrong reasons, again! In a video being circulated on social media, the 46-year-old chief minister is seen telling his audience that “Rabindranath Tagore returned his Nobel Prize in protest against the British.”

Deb made these remarks at a function in Udaipur to mark birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore. Tagore did receive the Nobel Prize for poetry in 1913. He, however, had denied Knighthood in protest against the Jalianwalla Bagh massacre in 1919, reported NDTV.

This is not the first instance of Deb making ludicrous statements as he had said that internet existed during Mahabharata’s time. Then he questioned the crowning of Diana Hayden as Miss World in 1997, saying she was “not an Indian beauty like Aishwarya Rai”. However, he later apologised.

The Chief Minister also stated that mechanical engineers should not opt for civil services, but civil engineers should. It looks like that Deb needs to be told by BJP’s high command to not make this kind of weird and bizarre statements as it is bringing bad publicity to the party and Deb should focus on governing and developing Tripura.

 




Canadian Sikh minister Navdeep Bains asked to take off turban at US airport


Toronto: A Canadian cabinet minister says he was subject to a discriminatory security check at Detroit’s airport that caused Canada to complain to US government officials.  Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Navdeep Bains said yesterday that he was asked to remove his turban at Detroit Metro Airport on his way back to Canada last year.

He says there were challenges with the swab machine and he was recalled from the gate and brought back to security where he was asked to take the turban off. He says when they realised who he was they allowed him to travel and not take it off. Bain says he complained to Canada’s foreign minister who then complained to US officials. He says US officials expressed regret and apologised and he’s accepted the apology.




Karnataka Assembly Elections 2018: Congress accuses BJP candidate B Sreeramulu of bribery charges


New Delhi: In a huge embarrassment to the BJP, just 48 hours before polling in Karnataka, a video of a sting operation surfaced in Bengaluru in which the party’s Bellary MP B Sreeramulu is seen talking about Rs 160 crore he had paid as bribe to a Supreme Court judge in a mining case. He is purportedly talking to the judge’s son-in-law in the tape. (The Free Press Journal cannot vouch the authenticity of the video.)

BJP President Amit Shah dismissed the tape as “yet another fake video” when asked about it at a press conference in Bengaluru on Thursday, just before the close of campaign.

At a press conference, the Congress alleged that the video shot in 2010 showed Sriramulu and four “middlemen” discussing “bribe deals” with then chief justice KG Balakrishnan’s son-in-law Sriranjan in a case involving the Obulapuram Mining Company owned by Janardhana Reddy.


 
It will be recalled that the illegal mining activities were stopped by the High Court. Later, in May 2010, the aforesaid judge allegedly passed a favourable order.

Though an 8-year old incident, the disclosure has come as a massive blow to the BJP since Sreeramulu is also a candidate in the Assembly elections and a Deputy CM aspirant. A close associate of what is known in Karnataka as the “Reddy-Yeddy Gang,” Sreeramulu already has three cases pending against him.

The Congress was quick to tweet, asking the people of Karnataka: “Would you want to hand over keys to such a Chowkidar Modi who has given tickets to such crooks?” Incidentally, the then Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan had passed the favourable order on the last day of his tenure. He retired on May 12, 2010.

His son-in-law, purportedly seen in the video, denied the charge as “purely political” soon after Amit Shah asked the media not to believe the video. In reply to a question, he said the BJP has nothing to do with Bellary’s controversial mining baron Gali Janardhan Reddy, asserting that his word is final. Shah was responding to Karnataka BJP chief B S Yeddyurappa’s claim that Reddy was helping the party.




PM Narendra Modi wades into history, accuses Congress of disrespecting Bhagat Singh


New Delhi: Like a desperate man who is clinging to straws in the wind, PM Narendra Modi delved into the freedom struggle and reminded the Congress that no one from the party had bothered to visit freedom fighters Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt when they were imprisoned.

However, his statement was immediately refuted on social media by historians and academicians. India Today even accessed a copy of the Tribune newspaper’s 10th August 1929 edition from the Nehru museum archives. On the front page of its evening edition (published in Lahore), the paper had printed the news of a meeting between Jawaharlal Nehru, Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt (among others). The headline was: Pt. Jawaharlal Interviews Hunger Strikers.

Modi’s original quote on his website had also mentioned Veer Savarkar in the list of freedom fighters. “When Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Batukeshwar Dutt, Veer Savarkar and greats like them were jailed, did any Congress leader go to meet them?” he asked.

“But the Congress leaders go and meet the corrupt who have been jailed. The Congress is supporting those who are corrupt. Such things cannot be accepted.” The reference was possibly to Rahul Gandhi’s meeting with RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav who is serving a jail term after his conviction in the fodder scam.

Historians and journalists immediately latched onto the statement. Wrote journalist Rajesh Mahapatra on the Twitter: Dear Prime Minister, please do not embarrass us anymore. I know, it’s not your fault. Your research team is failing you. Nehru did visit Bhagat Singh after he went on hunger strike at Mianwali jail in June 1929. This is well documented.

Said historian Ramachandra Guha: ‘‘There is no failure and there is no ‘research’ team. These lies, half-lies and falsehoods are willed and deliberate. Unlike that other Gujarati, Gandhi, this one will do anything at all to win an election.’’ “Read before you rant!” the tweet on Congress party’s official Twitter handle said.

According to India Today, Nehru has mentioned the meeting in his autobiography as well, and described how impressed he was with Bhagat Singh. “They were all very weak and bedridden, and it was hardly possible to talk to them very much. Bhagat Singh had an attractive, intellectual face, remarkably calm and peaceful. There seemed to be no anger in it. He looked and talked with great gentleness, but then I suppose that anyone who has been fasting for a month will look spiritual and gentle.”

JNU historian Mridula Mukherjee said she was “shocked” by the prime minister’s statement. “It is a known fact that Nehru and Bhagat Singh were fond of each other.’ When Bhagat Singh and other revolutionaries were in jail he not only visited them, but also wrote a letter and gave an open statement after visiting them,” she said. “They had mutual admiration for each other.”




Water scarcity in MP village forces girls to walk 4 km for toilet


Damoh (Madhya Pradesh): Due to the problem of water scarcity in the Madhya Pradesh’s Damoh district, the girls of government hostel have to travel four kilometers daily to use the toilet.
The girls of the government hostel travel every day with their school teacher and other maids with buckets to use the toilet.
“My friends and I along with our teacher walks two kilometers every day to use the toilet, due to the water crisis in the area,” a student said.
Even after having two borewells in the region the girls face hardship as the water of both the bore wells goes dry at the beginning of the season.
“The borewell goes dry every season, but usually we get water through tanker. But this time we did not even have that,” said the warden of the hostel.
Taking cognizance of the issue, the collector of the district said that they have informed about the matter to the higher authority, but are yet to receive any help from them.
“There is water shortage; we are trying to solve it. We have informed the authority, soon some solution would be found out,” said the collector. (ANI)

 




Youth sets Dalit girl on fire after she refuses to give him her phone number


Azamgarh: A 17-year-old Dalit girl after getting allegedly assaulted was set on fire by a 19-year-old boy in Azamgarh as she refused to give the boy her contact number. The victim who has been admitted to Shiv Prasad Gupta Hospital suffered 80 percent burns and is critical.
The accused Mohammad Shafi was sent to jail on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the chairman of the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe Commission, Brij Lal, met her family on the same day and promised a compensation of Rs 8.5 lakh, apart from the cost of her treatment. He also promised a house for victim’s family under the Pradhanmantri Awas Yojna, as per a report by The Indian Express.
“I first went to Varanasi to meet the victim. She has suffered around 80 per cent burn injuries, but she was able to narrate to me the whole incident. Later, I met her mother in Azamgarh,” Lal told the IE. He also instructed the police to safeguard the family.
The accused and the girl were friends and would talk over the phone. However, she recently stopped talking to him. “On Monday, Shafi went to her house to ask for her new number, after she refused…the youth assaulted the victim and then set her ablaze,” said Azamgarh Sadar circle officer Akmal Khan.

 




Dust storm hits Delhi, NCR, warning issued; schools to remain shut


New Delhi: A high-intensity dust storm hit New Delhi and Haryana on late Monday night. The high-speed winds hit the national capital and adjoining areas in NCR – including Gurgaon and Noida, prompting authorities to issue advisory.

According to India Meteorological Department (IMD) thunderstorm accompanied with light rain and gusty winds would occur in Delhi and adjoining NCR including Rohtak, Bhiwani, Jhajjar Gurugram, Bagpat, Meerut and Ghaziabad during next two to three hours.

The Delhi government and Delhi traffic police have also issued directives following the alert. Residents have also been advised to stay indoors and take precaution if going out. In the wake of the storm, all evening schools will also remain shut tomorrow in Delhi while Haryana had already announced school holidays for the first two days of the week. All schools in Ghaziabad district will also remain shut today.


Earlier in the day, the IMD issued a mild thunderstorm and dust storm warning for the next 48 hours in New Delhi and its neighbouring states. “Till tomorrow there’s a possibility of a dust storm and thunderstorm in Delhi,” IMD official, Devendra Pradhan told ANI. Till date, as many as 124 people have lost their lives due to high-intensity dust storms in Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan earlier this week.




Dipak Misra impeachment petition: CJI will not be judge in own case, nor will the four rebel judges


New Delhi: A petition on the impeachment move against Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, which was rejected recently by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu, will be heard by a five-judge constitution bench of the Supreme Court.

The petition has been filed by the Congress, which says Naidu’s decision was “illegal and arbitrary” and taken in a “cavalier, cryptic and abrupt manner”, without an inquiry. The judges who will hear the petition are Justices AK Sikri, SA Bobde, NV Ramana, Arun Mishra and AK Goel. Justices Bobde and Ramana are both in line for the post of Chief Justice. Justice Sikri, who will head the bench, is number six in seniority.

Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, who is also a signatory to the impeachment notice, had sought urgent listing of the matter before the court of Justice Jasti Chelameswar. Sibal contended before the judges that since the notice was against the CJI himself, hence Misra should direct its listing before the senior-most judge after him – that is, Justice Jasti Chelameswar.


Asked why the matter should be listed before Che-lameswar’s court, Sibal, who was assisted by advocate Prashant Bhushan, said: “It can’t be listed anywhere else. A person cannot be a judge in his own cause.’’ In response to Sibal’s argument, the judges replied that the petition should be brought before the Chief Justice, whose role as master of the roster — the one to decide on assigning of cases — had been defined.

Finally, in the evening, it was confirmed that the Chief Justice will not hear the petition, and neither will the four judges who rank right after him, including Justice Che-lameswar, since they had publicly criticised him and accused him of abusing his position as master of the roster.

The petition has sought quashing of the Rajya Sabha Chairman’s order rejecting the impeachment notice and has urged the Apex Court to direct Naidu to constitute a committee as envisaged under the Judges Inquiry Act to probe the grounds on which the removal of the CJI was sought. Sibal told the bench headed by Justice Chelameswar, which also included Justice S K Kaul, that rejection of the impeachment notice raises “serious constitutional issues” involving interpretation of constitutional provisions, as the Rajya Sabha Chairman cannot summarily dismiss it on the ground of “no proof of misconduct.”

Also read: 2 Opposition MPs move SC challenging Venkaiah Naidu’s dismissal of CJI Impeachment Notice
The petition has been filed in the name of Congress MPs Partap Singh Bajwa and Amee Yajnik. It contends that the Chairman has no option but to set up the inquiry committee, once the judge’s removal motion is signed by the requisite number of 50 MPs. It points out that 64 sitting MPs of Congress and six other parties had signed the notice.

Besides challenging the Chairman’s decision, the petition also assails Section 3(1) of the Judges Inquiry Act that vests discretion in him to reject a notice for removal of a judge. The petition contents that this provision pertains to the genuineness and authenticity of the signatures to the notice of motion and cannot extend to going into the merit of the motion.

The petitioners have also questioned the Chairman’s claim that he concluded the allegations against CJI Dipak Misra as baseless after meeting the legal luminaries and experts.

“The Motion was presented on 20.04.2018 and the impugned order was passed on 23.04.2018 at around 9.30 a.m. From the reports which are in public domain, the Hon‘ble Chairman was not in New Delhi for a good part of the weekend of 21st and 22nd April, 2018. In these circumstances, to say that he had consulted legal luminaries, constitutional experts, former Secretary Generals, former Law Officers, Law Commission Members and eminent Jurists and also had personal conversations with them does not appear to be probable.”

The petition goes on to assert that the Chairman’s order was based on political considerations as “one of the charges against the Chief Justice is that he has been partial in assigning political sensitive cases pertaining to the ruling party before particular benches in order to get a predetermined outcome.”





Top